What is the Average Payout for Soft Tissue Injury?February 07, 2021
What happens when you receive an injury on the job or in an automobile accident? What is the average payout for soft tissue injury? Would you know where to turn? You need reliable information and help with the steps to file a claim. You need legal advice and/or representation to answer all your questions relating to your concerns.
A licensed lawyer is helpful if an employer, for example, refuses to acknowledge you received injuries from work-related activities or to file workers’ compensation. A soft tissue injury settlement in Ontario may include pain/suffering, loss of income, short-term or long-term disability, and medical expenses.
The steps to take for proving personal injuries caused in the workplace or by an automobile or a truck accident are different.
Steps Following an Injury in the Workplace
- Inform a supervisor or manager immediately of the accident and injury. If an employer has a human resource department, you may have to file a formal report.
- If the injury is minor, try first aid from your employer to see if it relieves your aches or pain. For severe injuries, seek medical attention at a hospital or a medical physician.
- Record detailed notes in writing of what literally happened in the workplace to cause your accident and physical pain.
- File for workers’ compensation if your injury causes you to stop working temporarily because of a prolonged healing process and required treatments. While employers try to avoid using workers’ compensation insurance, you can ask your physician to send a professional medical report to Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).
Steps to Take After Receiving an Injury From an Auto Accident
- Take pictures of the scene and automobiles and exchange information between the parties involved in the accident.
- Speak with a lawyer who specializes in personal injuries and receive medical care, if your injury is severe and painful. Describe thoroughly in writing how, when, and where the accident occurred and other significant events.
- You must report the accident and injuries as soon as possible to your insurance carrier.
Average Payout for Soft Tissue Injury
The province in which you live determines the type of payout for soft tissue injury you could receive in a settlement in Canada. Provinces have a cap on injury claims regarding pain/suffering, and the courts set general ranges for a payout as an award for mild and severe injury claims. A mild soft tissue injury can be between $5,000 and $10,000 and a severe injury settlement may be approximately $80,000 to $100,000.
Canada Safety Council reports that it costs approximately $4 billion every year to help the injured recover from soft tissue injuries as a result of vehicle accidents. Whiplash and other related tissue injuries are costly for holders of insurance policies, which represent 80 percent of soft tissue injuries.
Forms of Payout
Pain and suffering is a form of compensation included in a settlement claim for physical and mental injuries resulting from an accident.
Loss of income and/or future earnings are forms of payouts for time missed from work and the inability to work permanently.
Physical ability loss is another form of payout that allows you to recoup the value of household services if your doctor diagnoses you with a disability because of an injury.
Medical expenses such as medical and therapy treatments incurred from a personal injury that a group insurance policy may deny payment coverage.
Research from the Institute for Work and Health shows that most compensation injuries in Canada include pain in the arm, back, and neck. A soft tissue injury can be mild to severe to the muscles, ligaments, joints, nerves, and tendons. The most common injury is to the back, with information suggesting 50 percent to 80 percent of the world’s industrialized countries experience back pain.
Get Legal Help
Who has the legal expertise and knowledge to get your claim filed and processed for soft tissue injury settlement in Ontario? I highly urge the representation of a licensed lawyer who has experience in personal injury law and workers’ compensation. Your legal representative will know if you are eligible to file a settlement claim and recover monetarily for pain and suffering.
You should make a list of questions to ask a lawyer during a free consultation to learn the possibilities of being awarded your settlement claim. Most claimants want to know what is the average payout for soft tissue injuries and the waiting time before you receive compensation for lost wages.
Disclaimer: The content of this article is a general guideline made available for educational purposes only and is not intended to be used as legal advice for the reader's specific situation nor in general. By reading our blog and website content, the reader acknowledges the above and understands there is no lawyer-client relationship created between you and Himelfarb Proszanski through this content. To get specific legal advice, we encourage you to book a free consultation with one of our lawyers to clarify the legal aspects of your situation.