Can I Sue Someone for Punching Me?

Book a FREE Initial Consultation

To Learn How We Can Build a Winning Case For You.

    Note: Your Privacy is Safe with us. We will never disclose your information to external parties.


    Book a FREE Claim Assessment

    ...with our Disability Lawyers & Learn How to Successfully Secure Your Benefits.

      Note: Your Privacy is Safe with us. We will never disclose your information to external parties.

      Tort Claims

      Can I Sue Someone for Punching Me?

      Can I Sue Someone for Punching Me?

      Physical altercations can cause severe physical injuries, high medical bills, lost wages, and prolonged pain and suffering. All of these things can be both stressful and expensive. If you have been injured and are wondering whether or not you can sue, the answer is yes. You can sue someone for punching you.

      Below you’ll find out when you can sue and why working with a Tort Claims Lawyer can be important in these kinds of cases.

      When Can I Sue Someone for Punching Me?

      You can sue in cases of assault, whether someone hits, slaps, punches, or shoves you. In addition, an attempt to apply force is also considered assault. You can be charged for slapping someone, or even go to jail if you punch someone depending on the circumstances. To qualify as assault, however, the action must be deliberate. If someone accidentally bumped into you at the grocery store, this would not qualify.

      Sometimes, such as during contact sports, intentional force is delivered but the injured party has consented to it. If the victim knew that force would be involved in the game but agreed to play, it is less likely that this would qualify as assault.

      Civil and Criminal Cases

      If you are assaulted by punching you, you can file a civil case, a criminal case, or both. If you file criminal charges, the accused party could be punished with time in jail, community service, fines, or probation. People often wonder: is punching someone a crime? Is slapping someone a crime? Can I sue someone for slapping me or punching me? The answer to all of these questions is yes.

      In a civil case, you will sue for monetary damages but the amount you ask for must be supported with evidence and logical arguments. Civil cases involving assault include domestic violence between spouses or people who used to date, even if they are divorced or separated. This also includes assault between parents, grandparents, children and siblings. Elder or dependent assault and civil harassment between roommates, neighbors, friends or non-immediate family members are other examples. A final example of assault is workplace violence where an employee is assaulted or threatened while on the job.

      Working with a Torts Lawyer

      No matter where your assault happened, a lawyer can help you understand your rights and whether you have a case. Be honest about what happened as this will help your lawyer to properly support you in court or during your settlement.

      If you’re not sure whether you want to sue, meeting with an experienced lawyer is often still a good idea. Consultations are usually free and even if you decide not to sue, you’ll receive knowledgeable advice on your case.

      If you’ve been injured in an assault of any kind, download our personal injury recovery kit to learn more about your rights or contact us to arrange a consultation with one of our experienced lawyers.


      Content updated: Originally published Oct. 23, 2017

      3 Comment(s)

      1. Can I Sue Someone for Punching Me?
        Josephine Bacus

        My jobless brother who addicted always attemp me to hit me, if ever he hit me can imput him to jail..what will i do so that he can go to jail..Ty.

        August 1, 2019 at 9:14 pm
      2. Can I Sue Someone for Punching Me?
        Marlon Johnson

        I want to sue

        April 12, 2021 at 4:41 pm
      3. Can I Sue Someone for Punching Me?
        Marlon Johnson

        Call me
        5103552453. Marlon Johnson

        April 12, 2021 at 4:43 pm

      Comments are closed.

      Disclaimer: The content of this article is a general guideline made available for educational purposes only and is not intended to be used as legal advice for the reader's specific situation nor in general. By reading our blog and website content, the reader acknowledges the above and understands there is no lawyer-client relationship created between you and Himelfarb Proszanski through this content. To get specific legal advice, we encourage you to book a free consultation with one of our lawyers to clarify the legal aspects of your situation.