How Much Money Can You Get from a Slip and Fall at Work?

Book a FREE Initial Consultation

To Learn How We Can Build a Winning Case For You.

    Note: Your Privacy is Safe with us. We will never disclose your information to external parties.


    Book a FREE Claim Assessment

    ...with our Disability Lawyers & Learn How to Successfully Secure Your Benefits.

      Note: Your Privacy is Safe with us. We will never disclose your information to external parties.

      Slip and Falls

      How Much Money Can You Get from a Slip and Fall at Work?

      How Much Money Can You Get from a Slip and Fall at Work?

      The amount of compensation you can receive from a slip and fall at work claim depends on the circumstances surrounding your accident. Slips and falls in the workplace can cause serious injuries and expenses.

      Below you’ll learn more about the factors that influence your settlement amount.

      How Much is My Slip and Fall at Work Case Worth?

      Putting a value on a slip and fall case requires the consideration of several factors. Many people want to know the average slip and fall settlement amounts in Ontario, but this is hard to determine because every case is different.

      For slip and fall cases in Ontario, settlements may range from very small amounts to very large amounts of money. These types of cases can be difficult to value, so working with an experienced Slip and Fall Lawyer is a good idea if you decide to sue.

      Filing for Workers’ Compensation Benefits

      When a slip or fall happens at work, it is usually covered by workers’ compensation. This means you do not have to prove that your employer was at fault for your accident as long as it happened while you were performing your regular work duties or traveling as part of your job.

      Workers’ compensation will pay for your hospital and medical bills and provide disability payments while you cannot work. These payments are usually around ⅔ of your income, but they are not taxed. Workers’ compensation may also pay for rehabilitation and retraining if you cannot return to your usual job duties because of your injuries. They generally do not cover pain and suffering.

      Accepting Workers’ Compensation

      If you file for workers’ compensation benefits and receive them, you are often precluded from suing your employer. If you want to sue your employer for negligence, then you must waive your right to workers’ compensation. If you have serious punitive damages, pain and suffering, or mental anguish, you may want to consider suing rather than filing for workers’ compensation benefits.

      When Do I Need a Lawyer?

      If you decide to file a lawsuit rather than filing for workers’ compensation benefits, you will probably need a lawyer. This is because slip and fall cases can be hard to put a specific value on. It depends on the circumstances of the case, the severity of your injuries, and the expenses you incur for medical and other necessary care.

      If you decide to sue, you will also have to prove that your employer acted negligently or carelessly and that this carelessness caused your injuries. In addition, if your workers’ compensation claim is disputed by your employer, you will need legal help.

      If you’ve experienced a slip or fall at work and need legal advice, contact us for a consultation. You can also download our personal injury recovery kit to learn more about the basics of personal injury lawsuits.


      Content updated: Originally published Nov. 24, 2017

      Disclaimer: The content of this article is a general guideline made available for educational purposes only and is not intended to be used as legal advice for the reader's specific situation nor in general. By reading our blog and website content, the reader acknowledges the above and understands there is no lawyer-client relationship created between you and Himelfarb Proszanski through this content. To get specific legal advice, we encourage you to book a free consultation with one of our lawyers to clarify the legal aspects of your situation.