How to Proceed After Injury in a Motor Vehicle Accident – Checklist
- Seek required medical attention.
- Inform the police that you have been involved in a motor vehicle or boating accident.
- Record the insurance information of any vehicles involved in the accident.
- Record the names and addresses of all involved parties and witnesses to the accident.
- Inform your family doctor of the injury and keep track of the physicians and health care professionals you have seen.
- Contact one of our personal injury lawyers to find out about your legal rights.
- Notify the accident benefits insurance company within 7 days of your automobile accident.
- Notify your employer or school of your accident and injury.
- Inform your bank manager and credit card company about your accident.
- Keep receipts of all accident-related expenses. Family members should also record the dates and time spent caring for the injured person.
- Check for other insurance coverage (i.e. through your work, school, or private plans).
- For slips and falls on sidewalks and roadways, immediately notify the municipality where the fall occurred about your claim. You should contact one of our lawyers to do this on your behalf.
- For private property slips and falls, for example in a mall, make sure that the injury is reported to the management office and a report taken. Ask for a copy of the incident report. Ask if there is a security camera that may have recorded the fall.
- Track all your medication, rehabilitation, and other expenses related to your accident.
- Record the names and contact information of individuals you have discussed your injury with.
Who is Entitled to Receive Accident Benefits?
Many people wonder if they are entitled to receive accident benefits after a motor vehicle accident. Regardless of who’s at fault, anyone that’s been injured in an accident is entitled to accident benefits, including medical care benefits. It’s also important to note that your insurance rates will not be affected by making a claim for accident benefits.
Why You Need Accident Benefits?
When you’ve been in an accident, there are a variety of expenses you may incur. These include costs of care, rehabilitation, and costs of living for you and your family while you are recovering.
Leaders in Personal Injury Law with Over 3000 Cases Settled
How it Works
- 01Attendant Care and Caregiver BenefitsHelps to reimburse the costs to your caregiver while you are injured. This includes family members.
- 02Medical BenefitsAllows you to pay for medical care and treatment, including medication, rehabilitation, therapy, and other expenses you may incur during your care, such as transportation expenses to and from the hospital.
- 03Income Replacement BenefitsReimburses some lost income due to being out of work during your injury. This benefit has a maximum of $400 per week.
- 04Visitation BenefitsCovers the cost of immediate family members visiting you while you are injured, including transportation, accommodation, parking, and meals.
In some cases, such as in “catastrophic impairment” cases (where you’ve suffered severe injuries) there are additional benefits available to cover the cost of a rehabilitation coordinator, home maintenance, and caregiver expenses. In case of death of the injured party, there are also death and funeral benefits available.
For other cases, there are additional benefits that may also be available to you, including non-earner benefits and lost education expense benefits. Your eligibility for these additional benefits will vary depending on the severity of your injury, as well as whether or not your insurance policy includes optional insurance benefits. To ensure that you receive all benefits you’re eligible for, keep all receipts of accident-related expenses. We will use this as evidence of your expenses to show to the insurance company.
How to Claim Accident Benefits
The time after an accident is critical. The longer you wait to apply for benefits, the longer you may have to wait to get them, and they may not be the maximum benefits you’re entitled to. To ensure that you get everything you deserve, it’s important to contact a personal injury lawyer immediately so your claim can be set in motion.
We will let the insurance company know right away that you are applying for accident benefits. This way any care you need, such as therapy or equipment, will be ready for you as soon as possible so you can begin to recover. We provide you with the forms necessary to apply for accident benefits, and we will help you fill them out.
If your loved ones have spent time caring for you, you also may be eligible for compensation to help cover this expense. Our personal injury lawyers will assist you in proving that you qualify for this benefit.
Why Choose HIMPRO?
Himelfarb Proszanski is a leading law firm with full service personal injury lawyers. We provide a combined century of trial experience which has led to the successful settlement of over 3,000 cases with combined settlement value in excess of ½ billion dollars. And finally, we’re the only firm to offer you the HIMPRO Advantage™.
> Click on each title on the right to view the answers.
Our Exclusive Guarantee
- Your injury is assessed and your options are discussed
- Your rights are protected and your claim is pursued
- Your disability and other benefits are secured
- You or a loved one obtains the award they deserve
- You receive updates throughout the entire process – Our Communication Guarantee
- Your injury assessments are booked with respected specialists
- Your rehabilitation is optimized and personalized using our extensive network of rehabilitation and medical specialists
- Your rehabilitation is monitored and tracked
- Your case is managed by our lawyers from start to finish
- You are made aware of options designed to maximize your settlement amount
What We Offer
- Free Case Evaluation
Schedule your free no-obligation personal injury evaluation.
- Hospital & Home Visits
Visits are available free of charge anywhere in Ontario.
- No Fees Unless We Win
Our guarantee: we don’t get paid until your case settles.